|Turtle Powell began rodeoing at the age of 6 and in 2011 was the World Champion Header – Team Roping. Turtle joined the PRCA in 1996 and to date has more than $1 million in PRCA career earnings.
Born and raised in Alpine, Texas, Turtle has a long list of accomplishments in the arena. He is a two time Texas Circuit Finals Champion and a eight time qualifier to the National Finals Rodeo (1999, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013). Turtle is also a DCNFR qualifier.
After graduating Salutatorian of his class at Alpine High School in 1991, Turtle attended Vernon Regional Junior College and then graduated from Tarleton State University in 1996. While in college he was the Southwest Regional College Team Roping Director, Southwest Region Champion Team Roper and National Reserve Champion Collegiate Team Roper.
A major team roping champion, Turtle has competed in numerous contests across the United States, including George Strait, Bob Feist Invitational, Hork Dog, Spicer Gripp and Wildfire Open Roping.
He has made many appearances at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo and in 2010 was the $50,000 winner.
A cowboy's tool of the trade is a good horse. Turtle has been fortunate to have several over the years. Vegas, the 2010 AQHA Horse of the year, has been with Turtle for more than 5 years.
|Unfortunately he was injured in July 2011,but is expected to make a full recovery.
Turtle now relies on
Rooster and Tex for his roping events.
When Turtle’s not roping, he enjoys watching his favorite teams – the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns, or eating at In & Out Burgers. He and his wife Molly have one son Layne.
|Major PRCA Wins:
• Star of Texas Rodeo - Austin, Texas (Kirt Jones)
• Deadwood, South Dakota (Wayne Folmer)
• Tucson, Arizonia (Mickey Gomez)
• Pace Picante Pro Rodeo Classic - Dallas, Texas (Monty Joe Peska)
• Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo - Fort Worth, Texas (Travis Graves)
• San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo - San Antonio, Texas (Travis Graves)
• Rodeo Houston - Houston, Texas (Cory Peska)
• Reno Rodeo - Reno, Nevada (Jhett Johnson)
• 3 Time Texas Circuit Finals Rodeo (Wayne Folmer and Steve Northcut)
|Major team roping Wins:
• Sandhill Invitational Team Roping - Odessa, Texas (Kirt Jones)
• George Strait Invitational Team Roping - Boerne, Texas (Kirt Jones)
• Bob Fiest Invitational Team Roping - Reno, Nevada (Monty Joe Peska)
• Hork Dog - Las Vegas, Nevada (Russell Cordoza)
• Spicer Gripp Memorial Team Roping (Mickey Gomez)
• James Pickens Foundation Team Roping (Jhett Johnson)
|Contact Turtle Powell: Address: PO Box 1162, Stephenville, Texas 76401 • Phone: 254-203-0294 • Email: email@example.com|